Friday, November 03, 2006

Opportunity wasted

Have you walked away from a situation or conversation realizing you did not see or take an opportunity presented you? I can think of many in my life! Maybe my own world seemed too important to even notice someone needing a quick word of encouragement. Maybe I felt put-out by offering my time or energy to be there for someone during a crisis. I can be so selfish.

During a team meeting, a man I traveled with in Life Action pointed out the times in the Gospels where Jesus tried to get away, to spend time alone. Almost every time He was unsuccessful. There would be a 'pressing' need in someone life, the disciples needed extra teaching, the Pharisees waiting in the shadows to pick apart every action and word. Hardly ever was there a silent, alone moment for Jesus.

Yet, He did not complain. He did not walk away from someone's need. He gave of His time, many times leaving none for Himself. Jesus embraced an opportunity to show God to the people no matter what was going on in His life at the time - perfect example would be the crucifixion. Remember all the things He said and did for people while enduring His death?

Are you tuned into the Spirit well enough to sense when an opportunity is before you?

1 comment:

mandy said...

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! I feel like I've been given an opportunity and if I don't reach out to you know who, then I'm blowing God off. I've been praying to be used in his life and when the opportunity comes, I'm scared to actually follow through. I just don't know if it's going to be possible to do that without leading him on.