Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Role model to me

Growing up in the 1980's, I always saw Mikhail Gorbachev on the news. Yes, he was a leader in the feigned U.S.S.R. Yes, that country did not have a great testimony. But, every time I saw Gorbachev on the television, I felt a connection. If you grew up in that time period, you already know why. If not, this picture should explain.



In my hometown of Somerset, Kentucky, I was an oddity. Not a freak or weird person, but an oddity. The only other person I knew with a birthmark was the son of a lady my mom knew from working at school. He underwent laser treatments for his birthmark on the back of his neck and back. His parents are where my parents got the information to first investigate laser treatments for me.

So, whenever I saw Gorbachev's face, I would perk up and pay attention. He was an inspiration to me. Not his country or his politics. But his person. He. I saw through him that I could be in the public eye and be accepted for my abilities.

This blog tells of Gorbachev having laser treatments and surgeries to remove the birthmark. I'm a little saddened by this news. I wish him all the best, but it's like an icon or role model that you've held up being taken down. He is known for that birthmark. I understand he needs to do this for medical purposes, just as I am doing these current laser treatments to diminish future medical issues. But I'm still sad.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My nephew has a birthmark(s) on the back of his head/neck. They'll probably fade and/or be covered up by hair eventually, but to me, they're part of what makes him special, beautiful, and unique.

I honestly didn't know where you were going when I started reading this post, but you have many special talents and abilities that make you shine. :)