Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Birthdays and anniversaries

Silence is golden. Whoever came up with this quote had a brilliant mind. I understand this statement more as I get older and have the opportunity for silence every now and then. My coworker is gone for half an hour. Ah! The wonderful sound of nothing. Can I get a witness...

My dad turns 60 this year, in 18 days to be exact. The funny story about my dad's birthday of February 3: Dad was actually born just before midnight on February 2. My grandpa said he didn't want a groundhog kid, so he made the doctor record the time of birth February 3. I guess to be born on Groundhog Day was a bad luck/taboo thing at that time in history. Who knows? My grandpa has weird ideas anyway.

My friend, Janice, has a similar birthday story. Her mom had complications at Janice's birth. Janice was birthed a little before midnight but because of the complications, Janice was place to the side while the doctor attended to her mother. When the doctor had stabilized her mom, Janice was then pronounced 'delivered', on the next day. Her parents could have changed the birth certificate to reflect when Janice was actually born but her dad told her he left it so she would have a fun story to tell in the future.

When it came to my birth - I came right on my due date. I was a good girl. ;) No comments from the peanut gallery.

Along with turning 60, my dad will celebrate a 40 year wedding anniversary with my mom this year. What a milestone! The percentage of marriages that stay together that long is rapidly decreasing. I'm so proud of my parents for sticking it out and remaining together. They have set an example of love and steadfastness before me and my two brothers.

No comments: