Saturday, June 16, 2007

Home sweet home

Hello from Kentucky! Father's Day is tomorrow and I drove into Somerset today to be with my daddy. I couldn't wait until tomorrow, so daddy got his gift today. I was so excited to give it to him because I knew he would actually like this gift. My dad is extremely hard to buy for. Many people say this about their dad, but it is so true for mine. Anyway, dad got a book called "The Nascar Vault". The book is filled with pictures and memorabilia from the past and present of famous Nascar moments.

Suzanne, my cousin, and Philip, her husband, came to dinner. I was cooking up dinner when they stopped by so they joined us. Sometimes I like spontaneous gatherings like this one. And the guest of honor and the one who held everyone's attention was Noah, their six (or so) month old boy. Oh! He is precious and downright adorable! Suzanne took a good one of me with Noah but I have to wait for it.

Last night while driving home from the mall, I heard a dedication on Delilah for a friend of many years. It got me thinking of my dearest and best friend Christina. We have known each other our entire lives. We grew up together, went to the same school, same church. We are even related when you go back a few people. Christina and I became best of friends by high school and the friendship has grown stronger through the years.

I cherish that I have a friend who has known me through every phase, every boy-crush, every turn, every joy, every heartache. What a privilege and treasure to have such a dear friend in my life.

Steve, my brother, and I went to Stacy's house to watch a movie. Stacy is a life-long friend of my brother, as well. Runs in the family, I guess. Anyway...I noticed on the walk by into my parent's house the scent of home. I can't even give a description of it. It simply smells like home. There is a big difference between the smell of pavement and lots of cars to the smell of open spaces and fragrances from nearby flowers and grass. A twinge of homesickness came while I enjoyed the clear sky above Somerset, Kentucky. The stars are so bright here.

No comments: