Tuesday, September 26, 2006

What I'm reading at the moment

I'm reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards, a Kentucky-based author. I picked up the book at random at the bookstore, and to my delight later, I found the story is based in Kentucky. AND...Somerset is mentioned in the beginning chapters. Somerset is my hometown.

A doctor has to deliver his own children as a freak snowstorm stops his wife from making it to the hospital. Twins are born, a boy and a girl. The second one, the girl, is born with downs syndrome. He makes a quick decision, without his wife knowing it, telling the nurse to take the baby to an institution in Louisville. The story that follows is of the nurse running away with the baby and raising the child as her own. I'm not finished with the book, but I'm sure a reunion is bound to take place between the father/mother and the nurse/child.

What I have taken away from the book so far is how our lives can change in an instance. We make one, seemingly small, decision and our life is thrown onto a completely different track. I've had that happen to me a couple of times. As I ponder what my life consists of at the moment, I can see the difference a couple of 'small' decisions made in my path.

The decision to walk away from a relationship that was heading for marriage was the most difficult one I have ever made. What would my life be like right now if I had stayed? Would I be in Nashville? Would I have the friends I now know? Would I be working at my present job? So many things could be different. Although the decision to end that relationship took a while to finalize in my mind, there was a moment when that decision set me on a different path than what I was taking.

Now that was a big choice on my part, so I'm not really talking about that situation inparticular with this post. I am thinking of all the little choices I've made and don't know and never will know the impact they had on my life.

I really don't know where I'm going with this post. I guess I'm just putting down some random thoughts. So often I look at my life and just wonder what differences there would be if I had made the other choice that was before me in a number of circumstances.

1 comment:

mandy said...

Mindy, I know you and I know you made the right decision! You couldn't have lived to your fullest potential or to completely glorify God in that situation. And like the Fray says in their song "All at Once": sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.