Friday, February 06, 2009

Long time coming

Let me share a little about my past so you can fully appreciate the reason for this post. I have two older brothers. Steve is six years older than me, Bryan eight years older. I grew up with Steve, we have some history. Bryan moved out when he was sixteen or seventeen, me around eight or nine. I don't remember much about living with Bryan before he moved out. We don't share history like most siblings do. We simply haven't been around each other and we don't get along all that well (read between the lines - we are a lot alike and clash). Needless to say, we don't call each other and stay in touch.

Fast forward some years, like up to 2007 or 2008...I don't remember exactly when, Bryan calls me at work and says he is in Nashville. What?! He was on vacation and decided to visit me. He what?! That had never happened before. We ate supper together and talked. I saw Bryan in a new light. He left town and I was left in awe that there might be a relationship developing with my brother. Isn't it strange to hear from a 30-something woman that she doesn't know her brother? Well, I didn't.

Fast forward to the present, as of Wednesday of this week. Bryan calls me and says he wants to come down for the weekend, or at least a day. Every time he calls, I have to remind myself that it may not be an emergency. That's the only reason he would be called me in the past...or to ask what to get mom for Christmas.

This time he is bringing mom with him. I see growth in Bryan, him wanting to reach out and socialize. Bryan is definitely not a socialite by any stretch of the word. I'm excited and happy for any communication and growth between us. I remember praying a long time ago that God would draw my family closer. I longed for a deeper relationship with each of them. And He has fulfilled and continuing to answer those prayers. Esty, if you are reading this, do you remember praying with me about that? You said one day I would walk into my parents house and realize it had happened. Well, it has.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, this post made me cry a little. I'm so happy this is happening for you and Bryan! You know the relationship I have with my brother, and I honestly want that kind of relationship for all people!

Pegsy said...

Thanks for sharing that! That's really neat to hear how God is answering your prayers of many years. I needed to hear that...