Monday, February 23, 2009

This side of glory

This past weekend, I made a quick trip to Kentucky to see my Grandpa New and the family and spend a girls night with my best friend Christina. Christina and I were going to meet in Bowling Green for Friday night and Saturday but those plans changed. While talking to my mom on the phone last Thursday night, she finally remembered to tell me Hospice was caring for my grandpa. What? How long? What's going on? Her answer...I really don't know, they've been helping for over a week or so, maybe two.

Change of plans and I'm on my way to visit my grandpa on Saturday. Short story: He has a bed sore that is very deep, and infection has set up deep down. The doctors can't completely cure the bed sore. The infection will spread through his body, eventually taking his life. He could pass away tomorrow or a year from now. It's a waiting game at this time.

I'm glad I was afforded this possible last time to see my grandpa alive and able to converse. He definitely appeared weaker, not as keen of mind. The man used to blow your mind with information about everybody and everything. I teared up as I kissed him and hugged him goodbye. I don't know if that will be the last time I see him on this side of glory. But that's where the story is different for me and those who belong to God. I have a hope that goes beyond this earth.

I'll leave you with a lyric from my grandpa's favorite song: "What I day that will be when my Jesus I shall see!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen, Sister!! That's been a little on my mind this weekend, too. I'm praying for you and your family.