Thursday, October 26, 2006

Jehovah-jirah

As I sit here typing this post, my heart is overflowing with awe towards my God, my LORD. Ten years ago I met Ben Durden. We traveled one year together with Life Action Ministries. Since then, we have kept in touch, sometimes with months between conversations. But we have remained friends even though he lives in Georgia and I in Tennessee.

Last year Ben traveled to China to teach marketing in a university. Not long after being there, Ben became deathly ill. And I do mean deathly ill. There were moments when we thought the Lord was going to take Ben home, to his eternal home.

God has graciously given us more time with Ben on this earth! The story is long and detailed, but suffice to say Ben is doing much better and God has blessed greatly. He recently wrote an email that outlined the whole story with some details most of us had not heard. As I read the letter, I was overcome with the presence of my God. My heart was rejoicing in God's provision for Ben. The name of God, Jehovah-jirah has come to mind. I am meditating on it today.

God has truly provided for my friend, Ben. And He continues to provide for me. What an awesome God I serve and adore! This name though has made me wonder: Do I allow God to provide for me? Do I notice when He does so? Do I give Him the credit for His provision, or do I give it to myself? Oh God, may I always give you the honor and glory due your name!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mindy! I found your blog! I had thought I'd lost you forever. This is Lindsey Crain from Life Action. I'd love to hear a summary of the last 10 years of your life (mine is long!) I have four kids (Mackenzie 5, Annie 3, Logan 19mos, Josiah 7 wks) and we recently moved to Washington State. Email me at LindseyJJacobs@yahoo.com