Friday, October 13, 2006

Silence

While driving back from Kentucky on Tuesday night, I spent some of the drive in silence. The radio was off, no cd playing, no phone calls. Just the annoying hum of I-65 pavement under my tires.

My melancholy, introverted personality loves to be alone. But I have found there is a vast difference in simply being alone and in honing that time in silence, listening to your thoughts and heart. I have spent time developing this discipline, not always succeeding. Yet I know there is reward in the future for disciplining myself to just be quiet and focus on what God is speaking to my heart and mind.

I'm a people watcher. From this I have noticed there are many people who fear what may come of sitting alone and letting repressed feelings and past actions come to the forefront. One of my friends is terrified of being alone and quiet. She has never said that out loud, but her actions and frantic ways are evidence to that fact. And I see the frustration and struggle she has because of it.

What I'm getting at, I think, is maturity in Christ and with others develops as I take the time to meditate and be silent before the Lord. I gain a sense of being grounded in the midst of this crazy world.

No comments: