Friday, May 09, 2008

Oh! What a night!

My church held a women's event last night called "What not to wear." I loved the concept. We discussed physical and spiritual things that are flattering and not so lovely to wear. Great program and concept.

Now, on to why this turned out to be quite some night.

I volunteered to head up the food department. We booked a caterer that a lady in the women's ministry leadership had previously worked with. The caterer was very nice and she worked with us when some details needed change at the last minute. This is where my day goes into crazy mode.

On Monday, I was told we needed to increase the food numbers. Not a big problem; the caterer had not purchased food yet. I simply called her and asked her to adjust her invoice and increase the total from 70 to 90. Fast forward to yesterday, Thursday, around 3:00PM. I call the lady who headed up the decorating committee, just checking in to see how things were going.

She proceeds to tell me the number of people attending has gone above 100! What?! Did no one cut off registration?! Come on people, work with me here! The caterer can't just magically make extra food appear. I call the caterer and find out someone had already contacted her. Problem solved. The lady can cut the larger chicken breasts down to make enough servings.

I arrive at the church straight from work and don't stop until I land on my couch last night at 10PM-ish. Although the set-up and start of the event was rushed and hectic, once the buffet line was up and running, I took a second to breath. Wrong idea.

I watched the food line, bring out a pan of potatoes. People are watching the drink line for me. Then IT happens; I need to replenish the chicken...where's the second pan of chicken?! I'm frantically running around in the kitchen, looking in everything that looks like food. No more chicken. Period. There was supposedly two pans of chicken, enough for the 100+ people attending. No chicken. No more chicken.

I get on the phone with the caterer, she must have left a pan in her van. "No, I brought everything in," she says. After what seemed like forever, we decided to give up and just let the ladies know there will be no more chicken.

I have NO IDEA where that second pan of chicken walked off to! I felt horrible. Praise the Lord for the godly ladies at my church who didn't complain. They understood and just had an extra scoop of the yummy (and I do mean YUMMY) potato casserole.

There you have it. I have worked food service before and I've never had the main dish just not be there, somehow disappear. How was your day?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seriously don't know where that pan of chicken could be. We looked EVERYWHERE! I don't think it got delivered. Really. Some one asked me how it went today, and I was like, "I got there at 3:15 and didn't sit down until 6:45-7, and left at 10 p.m.” My feet still hurt!

ATC said...

Chicken or no chicken- it sounds like you were a big help and were generous with your time!

Have a great weekend! :)