Monday, May 05, 2008

We've all got something

Although I've never been formally diagnosed, I'm fairly sure I have some level of dyslexia. This means that while speaking, I usually mix something up. For the most part I know I've said it wrong as the words are leaving my mouth. OK...now that you know this tidbit about me, please don't correct my speech every time I say something out of order. Most likely, it is the dyslexia talking, not me.

You should be in an accounting department and have this struggle! Balancing accounts on the first go around is a rare occasion.

I'm watching Little People, Big World on TLC. Have you ever watched it? Good show. That's where this blog post came from. I've come to realize many of us have something which could be labeled a disability. And we all have some thing we would love to change about ourselves.

For me, the biggest job is realizing those things about my fiends and family and be sensitive to them. Around two or three years ago, I realized my oldest brother has social issues. We have always clashed...for a nicer way to put it. He can be very sweet and friendly but his first reaction to most social situations is to withdrawal or be curt. Understanding this has helped me relate to him. I try to create situations that lend to him feeling comfortable. Our relationship has developed since then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As Luke Wilson said in that happy family movie "The Family Stone,": Fly your freak flag! Let's see, things I'd change about myself: the high level of shyness, the over-analyzing and worrying inane things to death, my lack of patience. And many many more!

Unknown said...

So is that why you let me meet him? I do tend to draw the outgoingness out of people and he certainly did do a lot of talking that night!

And I don't really know what I'd change about me - I like me pretty well right now! But having someone to constantly tell me how awesome and beautiful I am is definitely good for the ego! :)