Thursday, August 07, 2008

Sgt. Pepper who?

Let me start by saying, you don't have to be a Beatles fan to know a good amount of their music. I have never been that into the band, probably because my parents weren't, but I still know some general things about the group and their music. So...when Blaine on Project Runway has the following convo with Tim Gunn, I was baffled: Tim - "It looks a little Sgt. Pepper to me." Blaine, after a slight pause - "I don't know what that is." What?! Paaaaleeeasssee.

The challenge for last night's runway was a great one, an Olympic opening night outfit. What a great idea! It's so patriotic. But the contestants on the show soon pop my excitement bubble. Let me interject that there were some great outfits for the challenge. A few of the designers 'got' the challenge. Let me share with you the outfits that don't really make you think of anything related to the Olympics...except for maybe a dignitary's wife in the bleaches.







Why would you as a designer think any of those outfits would be appropriate for the opening night walk into the stadium? Have these designers never watched one?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

its good to know about it? where did you get that information?

Anonymous said...

From top to bottom we have:
• 40s dinner party chic (and totally inappropriate for the opening ceremony, but maybe a dinner party afterward)
• 50s housewife out for a luncheon. “Where are my gloves, dear?” (Think about Venus Williams wearing this.)
• Lucy and Ethel go to the Olympics, but serve as flight attendants and Little Bo Peep impersonators on the way there. 'Nuf said.
• 70s college girl casual. Have these designers seen female athletes' thighs?
• 60s inspired pencil skirt dress, good for a day at boarding school and the Olympics. Or not.