Saturday, August 23, 2008

People watching

This morning brought oil changes for both me and my roommate, and new brake pads for Wendi. As Wendi waited for her car to receive new brake pads and I waited for an oil change at the Firestone next to Wal-mart, we realized this is a great place to people watch.

I dropped my car off and we went to Wal-mart to spend money on random things as we pasted the time. I got a new purse and Wendi bought new workout clothes. After eating at the Subway in the store, we headed back to Firestone to wait a long time for an oil change.

One woman who was there when I dropped my car off was still there...great sign, right? At first I didn't pay attention to her outfit. It wasn't until Wendi leaned over and whispered, "shoes." Now, pause...if you have seen this video, you will know why I laughed out loud. This lady had shoes that looked like a weaved basket clog. Then her dress was a weird mixture of blues and greens in a floral, paisley pattern. Her permed/curled hair jumped out of 1995 right into 2008. Her feet didn't reach the floor so she kept swinging her legs back and forth, while reading a novel from a way-too-big book.

Then there came in a guy that had tire issues but didn't want to pay for a brand new tire. Well, Firestone does not sell used tires but that guy wouldn't go for a new one. So, he actually asked the attendant, "Do you know where I can buy a used tire?" Cheap and an idiot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That Firestone is one of my favorite places to people watch, too. It's amazing the conversations you get involved in with people too bored to know they're being stupid. Or like the day I was the only one in there, reading my book, and a lady walked in and asked if I could give her husband directions to Murfreesboro Road. Which I did - but could not figure out how they had gotten so very far off course! Then there was the day when I went in, dropped my car off, walked to IHOP to eat, then got the blanket out of my car and sat in the grassy area between there and the bank and read - for three hours. I didn't even notice that I'd been there that long - it was a really good book!! Yep, fun memories at Firestone! :)