Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Event-filled morning

There I was at work, sitting at my desk and checking email. The morning was moving along like most mornings do. Then - my vision went all weird. Remember what it looks like when you look at a light then away, and the light shape is still in your vision after you look elsewhere? Eventually, your vision return to normal. Mine didn't, and I hadn't looked at a light.

After fifteen minutes, my vision was still messed up. I started to worry, as I think most people would. The strange vision became like a kaleidoscope so I called the eye doctor. They had me come right in...that didn't settle my nerves any.

My doctor did a few tests, including the fun dilation of the pupils that leaves you unable to focus for half the day! Come to find out, I probably had an optical migraine...didn't even know the things exist. Instead of the migraine giving me a typical headache, the migraine affects the optical nerves. No harm done...just my insides all torn up.

The interesting part of the morning was when I ordered new frames and lenses. The doctor said my prescription has changed and new lenses might keep any future optical migraines from happening. I was looking through the myriad of frames they have available, thinking the whole time the guy helping me looked familiar.

Finally I said to him, "I know I know you." He then said, "Yeah, you look familiar." Ends up we went to college together back in 1995-1996. He lives here in Nashville with his wife...Melinda is her name. I just have to laugh at that; my name is Melinda, I just go by Mindy. So, what started as a frightful morning ended with new glasses and a meeting with an old acquaintance.

1 comment:

ATC said...

I'm glad it was nothing too serious!

I can't wait to see pics of your new glasses!