Friday, July 11, 2008

A beginning

I have two brothers, both older than me. Bryan is eight years older, Steve is six years older. I grew up with Steve but not Bryan. He left the house at sixteen, meaning I was only eight at the time. I don't have many memories of us together before he moved out.

Suffice to say, we haven't had a lot of time together over the years. Bryan is in town for a visit. He came in yesterday and will be around probably until tomorrow morning. We toured the Opryland Hotel last night because everyone needs to see that place at least once. Bryan loved it. Tonight we are attending a Nashville Sounds game with some of my friends. This is only the second time in my life where I've spent time like this with Bryan. Weird huh? To have not spent time with your brother! But that is our history.

It seems as though we are beginning a friendship after 30 years of life. We talk occasionally on the phone, unlike ten years ago when we would never have called each other on the phone. I'm glad this friendship has started. I hear friends talk of their siblings with such love and closeness. I want that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who has a brother she can't imagine living without (b/c really, we're twins. We've been together ALWAYS!) I want you to have that, too. Baby steps, my dear! You're both making an effort, which is something. :)

Unknown said...

Tell Bryan I said HI!!!

And I'm probably not going to make the game tonight, after all. Which stinks because I was really hoping things would work out - I want to go!!