Friday, July 25, 2008

It's called a thesaurus

It's not a type of dinosaur or dreaded disease, you don't have to fear it. A thesaurus can be your friend and make you appear much smarter to your friends and coworkers. This wonderful little treasure of a book is a gift I would love to give to my coworker who shall remain nameless. It might scare her! (If you know the person to whom I'm referring, that last statement will make you laugh.) Mandy - did I use the correct who/whom?

Following the path of my friend Mandy, I give you a mixture of two posts she has written lately. Mandy is in the process of teaching some basic grammar lessons. Yesterday she wrote on words that make her queasy inside, or at the least get on her nerves. I submit for your reading pleasure a list of words my nameless coworker needs to use, but she inserts the word scare(d)(s)(y) for most applications:

concerned
confused
alarmed
anxious
dreading
apprehensive
horrified
embarrassed
mortified
terrified
freaked-out
nervous
frightened
worried
panicked
troubled

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha!
I use the thesaurus almost every day! LOVE it. And yes, whom is correct. :)
I have accepted my call to fight the crime of bad grammar in this world. My superhero name is Grammar Girl.