Monday, July 28, 2008

Didn't your momma teach you better?

To the known readers of my blog, this post is not directed to you. There may be others that read but never comment, so I can't vouch for you. (Side note: I like comments on my blog.) At lunch today, I encountered what happens from time to time for me. And, every time, I want to reach out and slap the person. That would not be appropriate even though it would make me feel great.

"What happened to your face?" NOTHING HAPPENED TO MY FACE YOU DIM-WIT! I would love to verbalize that previous statement but being a good person, I don't. It's called a birthmark, ever heard of it? And didn't your mother teach you better? Really people.

There are questions I would like to ask to many people I pass throughout the course of a day. Do I? No. Why? Because it would be rude or insensitive or just plain awkward. I don't mind people asking about my birthmark, really I don't. It's the way in which you ask about it that makes the difference to me. Instead of "What happened to your face?", ask "Can I ask about the red mark on your face?" See the difference in delivery? It's called tact, our society needs more of it.

Cheesy smile, huh? :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having been with you on occasion when this happens. . . I want to slap the people, too! And tact is something most people need to learn. :)

Anonymous said...

I am Mindy hear me roar! ;) Seriously, while mine wasn't a facial birthmark it was lazy eye - are you looking at me? Ugh. No smart one, I was meditating on a very interesting spot on the wall above you - with one eye. Sheesh!

Pegsy said...

Yes, my mother taught me better! LOL! I'm assuming it wasn't a child who asked that question? I can see my kids saying something like that maybe once, but that would be the LAST time they did that! Actually, my daughter, Sara, had a big strawberry hemangioma (sp?) on her forehead, which we got tons of comments and questions about. (It starts out big, puffy and bright red. It fades and goes away by about age 8 or 9.) I agree that it's all in how you ask the question. Some people were so gracious and others just made me so mad...

Anonymous said...

buy ativan buy lorazepam online no prescription - ativan maximum daily dosage